Thursday, June 17, 2010

Tale of A Special Dog

It's no secret that I get a lot of inspiration from our four-legged friends. Today I realized just how attached we become to our furry family members, and thanks to the good work of a wonderful vet, my fuzzy Phoebe is going to be around a little longer.

Phoebe is an Australian Cattle Dog, or Blue Heeler. Like many of her kind she has made a life of bringing joy to the two-legged in her life and has been at my side through tragedy, happiness, and everything in between. She was there when I left for Europe, hanging on my old bed, and waiting in the drive when I arrived home two years later, married and a bit more grown. When we moved to Cincinnati, Phoebe came with us and became our first family pet. I remember coming home from soccer practice to her cuddles and going for runs with her easily (easily) keeping pace.

In the last five years or so she has gotten older, and now is twelve, facing thirteen. The grey hairs have been intruding in amongst her black ones on her muzzle, her pace has slowed (but not by much), and the big-hearted pup that is constantly wanting to go for a car ride is having to take it a little easier. We had a scare this morning and I was positive that I would only have memories this afternoon, but somehow she pulled through. She's not out of the woods yet, but I'm pretty sure I'll be painting a cattle dog soon.

Thanks, God, for giving me a little more time with my Phoebe girl.

No comments: