Thursday, November 19, 2009

Where is your muse at 3:30 am this morning?

Mine is probably still sleeping upstairs. I woke up at 1:30 this morning as if it was morning and have not quite gotten sleepy again yet (I am going to suffer for this tomorrow). Since I'm not liking the idea of pulling out all my paints and getting to work just to fall into a coma mid-painting, I thought I would work on the blog.

I've been aware of the painting-a-day movement for some time, but never really paid a lot of attention to it. An art teacher I used to study under, Roger Lawrence, told me on more than one occasion that the only way to improve one's technique is to study and work daily at the craft of being creative. Lately I am beginning to take this to heart and am thinking of at least working on a one painting a week project. Perhaps this will grow into a one painting a day project sometime in the future.

While doing research on this trend I came across a fine artist in every sense of the word. His work is beautiful, and even with my amateur eye I can tell his technique is finely honed. Undoubtedly his work is probably well known in knowledgeable circles already, but I live in my own little cocoon and so have only come across it now. The link to Julian Merrow-Smith's site is: www.shiftinglight.com. The name of his one a day project is the Postcard from Provence series. Love his work. LOVE IT.

Ok, my eyes are starting to blur. My guess is sleep is finally deciding to return to this forgotten dreamer. 'Til next time!

No comments: